YOUTH EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM
CREATIVE ARTS SKILLS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM:
PROVIDING PROFESSIONAL FILM TRAINING
- The Kenya School of Government (KSG) has developed the Creative Arts Skills Development Program (CASDP) to provide standardised experiential training in the film making industry to youth and professionals.
- The program is designed with the understanding and appreciation that Filmmaking sector is among the most lucrative within the creative industry and a big contributor to the global economy. The Industry employs millions of innovative people thereby creating an opportunity for income generation and social self-expression.
- The Industry which has globally recognised names such as Hollywood and France Film among others which are over 100 years old produces professionals who are among the richest people in the world.
- The need for a global benchmark and more film training in Kenya, therefore, necessitated the development of the Creative Arts Skills Development Program. The program intends to give the participants an opportunity to combine their technical filmmaking with creative arts development. The program aims to introduce and build the skills of participants in different film techniques and business. In addition, participants will learn effective communication, theories of film making, and graphic arts.
- The classes are delivered through open workshops that allow participants to use their imaginations, and learn different filmmaking skills including editing and sound specializations to master post-production and distribution/marketing techniques through experiential model of training.
- The participants practice filmmaking by actually making a film on set as opposed to the traditional theoretical models. Participants acquire knowledge, experience and exposure throughout the program.
- From the second week of the program, participants are given roles in feature film production as part of a cast and crew in the class project. During the training, participants meet top filmmakers who introduce them to international film production standards and technicalities. They will also be given supplemental learning materials.
- The KSG will use talent-based admission criteria to mobilize participants into the Program. This includes evaluation of special talents, achievements and awards in a particular filmmaking field such as visual and performing arts, athletic endeavors and special skills. They include skills such as demonstrated written and oral proficiency in other languages, experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership of intellectual vitality of a training institution such as significant experiences or achievements that demonstrate potential in filmmaking.
- The talent based admission criteria provides an innovative approach that is all inclusive. It also provides training opportunities for, among others, youth currently overlooked by the traditional academic achievement film-training programs and industry professionals. This will empower participants with knowledge and skills; and self-employment, and social expression necessary in transforming lives.
- All applications are considered individually on their own merit, taking into consideration information provided by the applicant including personal statement on creative work and affirmations from references.
- Applicant’s creative experience also plays a vital role in the School’s selection process and applicants are given the opportunity to submit samples of their creative work. We, however, do not necessarily require any previous experience in this filmmaking for admission.
- If are interested in working in the film industry in any capacity, be it directing, writing, producing, photography, cinematography, animation, editing, among other roles, you should consider attending training at the KSG Film Studio/Centre. You are welcome to apply if you have the ability and you meet the minimum entry requirements.
- Applicants are considered for admission into this talent and achievement based Program through a thorough review of their personal documents including portfolio and personal statement.
- Applicants must demonstrate talent and specific ability, task commitment and creativity.
- They will also be expected to submit a creation that demonstrates appreciation for the visual, performing arts or the role of art in creating positive social change in respective communities (If any).
- Fill in the Application Form
- Submit the filled form together with all attached documents as required
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified about either virtual or in person interview
- Successful candidates will be notified
- Successful candidates will fill in admission form
- Exceptionally talented and needy trainees may apply for bursaries after admission
- CV/Resume (Not more than 2 pages)
- Completed/filled Online Application Form
- Certified copy of ID
- Passport size photograph
- Resident in any county in Kenya
- Must have the drive and commitment to full time learning necessary to complete the rigorous program
- Applicants should be able to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with others in an artistic environment
- Proficiency in English or Kiswahili
- Basic computer skills
- Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed
- Availability for a full time and demanding program